venerdì 23 gennaio 2015

Review: Witch Song (Witch Song #1) by Amber Argyle

Witch Song
Witch Song #1

Author: Amber Argyle
Published: September 1st 2011
Publisher: Starling Publishing
Format: eBook
Number of Pages: 305
Source: Bought
Purchase: Amazon, TBD

From Goodreads
Brusenna is the last. 

All the other witches have been captured, their songs stolen and twisted from harmony and growth into chaos and death. She alone must stand against an evil much older and darker than anything she could ever imagine—an evil every witch before her has failed to vanquish. 

Brusenna must be the first.




My Review

WOW! What a great discovery this book has been!

Let's start by saying that I have never read something about witches. I know, my bad, but I have never really been that much fascinated by these paranormal characters.

Witch Song was a complete surprise. I started this book and I immediately enjoyed the author's writing style: fluent, detailed, elaborate, the kind that I tend to notice, considering that this has been her debut novel. At first, though, I thought that Witch Song would not have been really a fast-pacing novel, but I found out that I was actually missing something. The whole book is packed with action, you will not be able to relax for an instant, because Brusenna's world constantly changes and upsets the reader. The world Brusenna lives in was amazingly described, not only physically, but also psychologically.  I loved how the author tried to be realistic even in a paranormal novel, how she focused on building perfectly the setting of the book and especially, the opinion of the crowd about witches. It felt real to read about people who feared them, frightened by what they couldn't  put their fingers on, and about people who knew that it was necessary to help them. I think that if witches were real, that's how people would truly react!

 What I enjoyed most, also, where the fact that the witches' power was in their songs and in their voices because it contributed at creating  a pretty image of them, and not the frightening kind I had on my mind. I loved the bond they had with nature, how plants reacted to their words and how witches had the responsibility for the world's balance. I left myself dreaming, imagining how leaves and flowers moved along with the witches' songs and it was a wonderful sensation! I think that was probably one of the author's greatest skill, to touch your imagination so very deeply!

The characters also were well built, Brusenna was a lovely protagonist, strong but not eccentric, sweet, loyal and tender-hearted. I struggled a little at the beginning, to find a connection with her, because I couldn't stand how sometimes she became kind of "whining"; I hated the all "everybody-leaves-me" concept and the "I'm-all-on-my-own", but I guess there must have been something like that, considering that she was the last witch left. In short, a small problem you can easily get over . 

I loved her relationship with Joshen, I feared at the very beginning that it may turn out into some banal love story, but I am happy that the author didn't really gave us much about them in this book because it let's me hope that there will be more in the sequels. I adored Joshen's character because he perfectly knew how to take care of a girl without being troublesome; I thought he grew up so much during the book and it was amazing to see how this adventure changed him and turned him into a wonderful man. I just want to read more about him, NOW.

Well, what do I have to add? I loved travelling along with Brusenna and Joshen, by land and by sea, and I bet most of you will love it too! 

Looking forward to Witch Born!

Rated 4.5



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

 
Images by Freepik