giovedì 13 giugno 2013

eARC Review : Lie Still by Julia Heaberlin

Lie Still
Author: Julia Heaberlin
Expected publication: July 2nd 2013
Publisher: Bantam
Format: eARC
Number of Pages: 315
Source: Netgalley
Purchase: Amazon || TBD || B&N

From Goodreads
When Emily Page and her husband move from Manhattan to the wealthy enclave of Clairmont, Texas, she hopes she can finally escape her haunted past—and outrun the nameless stalker who has been taunting her for years. Pregnant with her first child, Emily just wants to start over. But as she is drawn into a nest of secretive Texas women—and into the unnerving company of their queen, Caroline Warwick—Emily finds that acceptance is a very dangerous game.
 
It isn’t long before Caroline mysteriously disappears and Emily is facing a rash of anonymous threats. Are they linked to the missing Caroline? Or to Emily’s terrifying encounter in college, years earlier? As the dark truth about Caroline emerges, Emily realizes that some secrets are impossible to hide—and that whoever came for Caroline is now coming for her.


My review

Lie Still is a gripping mystery that will drag you through the lies and secrets of the cheeky girls of  Texas, Clairmont a wealthy town in which the most rich women formed an inpenetrable circle of mysteries and betrayals.


When I first saw the cover of Lie Still I was really interested in it and - yes, yes, my shame- I have to tell you that I requested a copy without even considering the synopsis. So you can imagine my surprise when I found out that Lie Still wasn't exactly an easy read, it was a thriller full of tension that kept me glued to its pages until the end. 

Probably because I didn't read the synopsis before, I was a little confused at the beginning because I couldn't find a connection between the two main themes of the book: Emily's past and Caroline's case. I couldn't see where was the link between the protagonist's rape, happened years ago, and the disappearance of Caroline, the leader of the group that reunited all of Clairmont most rich women. For all the book I was tormented with the tension of what was coming and I was so afraid that Caroline's case could involve directly the protagonist, even if she couldn't actually be part of the killer's plans, because she had only just arrived in Texas! 

These were some of my thoughts while reading the book - you can bet, my head was a mess! - but all my doubts were then absolutely clarified and my questions found answers, by going ahead. Julia Heaberlin simply did a brilliant job in destabilize not only the protagonist but the reader too, my own anguish grew along with Emily's worries and I couldn't feel really satisfied until the very end! The tension and the mystery were so well developed that I got completely caught  up in the killer's web and the curiosity to know how the two stories were related, consumed me!

One of the aspect that increased the tension was definitely the fact that Emily, the protagonist, was pregnant - yes you heard well! This meant that she was more vulnerable than the others and as a consequence it was inevitable not to feel worried about her constantly.

Beyond the mystery, another aspect that really interested me was how so many powerful, rich, beautiful women found comfort and security in a complex character like Caroline, a woman who knew everything about anyone but that didn't give away much about her own life in the end. All the members of the circle had been threatened, more than once, and in any case they were always ready to share with Caroline all their deepest secrets. And what was the strangest thing of all, in my opinion, was that they all actually loved her, she was like a constant, naughty presence in their shabby lives that they adored to be considered by.

Overall
A must read for all Pretty Little Liars lovers, who like to read captivating thrillers with unexpected finales!

Rated 4.90!


Favourite quotes

Today is a good day.
Still, I want to shout at the woman running by in pink jogging shorts, and the one tying her little boy's shoe.
Tell your girls. Tell them, tell them, tell them.
Tell them to fight and scratch and yell his name. Tell them not te be ashamed. To break the necklace of women who've kept their rapis's secret because they know him. Grandmothers and mothers, daughters and sisters, aunts and bestfriends. Century after century, decade after decade, year after year. Heartbeat after heartbeat.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

 
Images by Freepik