sabato 16 giugno 2012

Review: City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls
The Mortal Instruments #5


Author: Cassandra Clare
Released: May 8th 2012
Number of Pages: 553
Format: Paperback
Purchase: The Book Depository, Amazon

From Goodreads:
The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees. No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own? Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives. And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love? Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

                                                                                      Review:

City of Lost Souls is the fifth book in one of my favourite series, "The mortal Instruments" by Cassandra Clare. Before sharing my thoughts about this book I would like to say, especially to the ones who have already read the series, that when I've heard, after having read City of Glass, that Cassandra was going to write three more books, I was scared, but at the same time happy.I had the feeling that after all the success she had achieved with TMI, she decided to write other sequels that maybe would have ruined the rest of the series, that, in my opinion, was perfect enough.City of Fallen Angels initially confirmed my hypothesis because it seemed like there was nothing to talk about anymore, Valentine was dead and so was the series, finished. Despite this initially negative approach I liked the fourth book, even if it was certainly not one of my favourite; in particular in City of Lost Souls, Cassandra has upset all my previous theories. She has such a great ability in creating new stories and situations, that I'm ashamed of myself, when I think I was even doubting she could have ruined the series!


In City Of Lost Souls, Clary, Simon, Alec and all the characters from The Mortal Instruments, have to deal with the disappearance of Jace, and with his bound with Sebastian (Or Jonathan), Clary's evil brother. I don't want to try to summarize the plot because it would be impossible to do that without spoilering too much, so I will just say that the path to find a remedy for this bound will be long, and not easy at all. Moreover the possible consequences may be too dangerous and even if Clary would be able to find the real Jace again, will he still be the boy she had fallen in love with? The Clave doesn't want to dedicate a minute more to the research, so, the group of friends will be forced to do everything on their own, with all the risks that this mission implies.


* Possible spoilers alert*

I really don't know where to begin. I found really difficult to write reviews about book from my favourite authors; I don't feel like I'm up to do that!
Well, as always Cassandra did an AMAZING work with everything: the characters, the whole situations but most of all the suspense and that little bit of mistery. What I particulary  liked about this book was how the author developped the personality of many characters, to whom was not dedicated enough time in the other books. The characters that surprised me the most:


* Isabelle, she's really a great character, and in this book Cassandra gave us the opportunity to understand her a little bit more. In City of Fallen Angels we have read that the fact that her father cheated on her mother, and the heaviness of this secret, had some serious consequences on her way of being and her way to relate with other people. She has some problems in trusting people but for the first time, with Simon, she understands how much she needs him and with a huge effort she tries to make him understand her feelings. I love her so much, because she's such a strong girl, but with a tender heart; and what about her strong relationship with Jace? I would have never thought about Izzy in this way and when she finally found him, at the end of the book, the way she took care of him was so sweet.
Alec, I don't know how to feel about him; his insecurity always makes him take the wrong decisions! Already in City of Bones he tried to push Clary away because of his jealousy and now, his fear of losing Magnus or his insecurities about his past lead him to a terrible conclusion. I think that in some ways, during the book, he had grown up when he finally decided to coming out in CoG, but after that, he didn't make any progress; on the contrary, I think he only made a step backwards.
Clary, God, I would have never thought she could have surprised me so much in this book! She achieved such a great strenght and confidence in her capacities that left me speechless. I estimated her so much when she was able to find the courage to stab Jace with the Heavenly blade, for his safety and for everyone's sake, as it was the only way to probably kill Sebastian.
Sebastian, when I started the book, I loved him! He seemed so tender at the beginning, like a guy who was hated by everyone and only needed some love and comprehension. And even if I still feel like this is completely true, I hate the way he talked to Clary at the end of the book. That concept of possession, of belonging, of incest was disgusting, but at the same time extremely emotional. Reading the special extract "A dark transformation", that was about the transformation from Jonathan to Sebastian Verlac, I understood that Jonathan thinks at her sister as the only one who could possibly love him; they share the same blood, the same power, and these reasons encouraged him to try to seduce her. That also explain his jealousy toward Jace.



The way Cassandra is able to perfectly describe feelings and emotions, and every single detail of a character, makes everything real for me. Everytime I read about Jace and Clary I simply got goosebumps. She always focus her attention to the description of their scenes together, and she used all five senses to share us their emotions; and she definitely succeed in doing so! Moreover she's terribly cruel sometimes! I mean, in this book there were lots of references to The Infernal Devices, especially to Will and Tessa and now, dear readers, I need all of you who have already read the book to answer a question:


*Tell me, have you thought that maybe Brother Zachariah could be Will or Jem from TID?

"Where you ever in love? Before the Brotherhood? Was there ever anyone you would have died for?"


There was a long silence. Then:
Two people, said Brother Zachariah. There are memories that time does not erase, Clarissa,
Ask your friend Magnus Bane, if you do not believe me. Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable."

City of Lost Souls , pag. 523

                                             
                                             My favourite quotes from CoLS:

"A photograph of herself and Jace, taken by Izzy. She remembered it, a clear day in October, Jace sitting on the front steps of the Institute, a book on his lap. She was sitting a step above him, her hand on his shoulder, leaning forward to see what he was reading. His hand covered hers, almost absently, and he was smiling. She hadn't been able to see his face that day, hadn't known he was smiling like that, not until now."
                                                                                                                                                     pag. 177

"She turned and looked at him. "Ducks?" she said again.
A smile tugged the edge of his mouth." I hate ducks. Don't know why. I just always have."

pag.204

"What are you doing" she whispered. "Jace?"
He looked at her. The peculiar light in the club turned his eyes an array of fractured colors. His smile was wicked. "You can tell me to stop whenever you want," he said." But you won't."
pag. 324

"With a flourish he picked up the book on top of the stack. It looked old, leather-bound, the title stamped in gold on the front. A Tale of Two Cities. "Dickend is always promising..."
[...]He flipped the book open to the front page, where the title was printed in ornate script. Across from it was a long dedication, the ink faded now and barely legible, though Clary could make out the signature: With hope at last, William Herondale.
pag.392

No one would help her, and the person standing with his arms around her, prisoning her with his body, wasn't Jace. The way that clothes retained the shape of their owner even if they had not been worn for years, ar a pillow kept the head of the person who had once slept there even if they were long dead, that was all he was. An empy shell she had filled with her wishes and love and dreams.

pag.482

And a thousand more! ^^
                                                      
                                                                   Rated:


8 commenti:

  1. wow i love your review. I hadnt thought about your questiion but it is possible. It is possible that will and jace are to meet...you never know.
    Loved the review ant the quotes....

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you so much!! :D
      That's the fantastic thing about Cassandra Clare's books, you never know!!
      x

      Elimina
  2. Thanks for the review. I haven't read the book yet (just finished City of Fallen Angels), but I had the same feeling about Cassandra Clare writing another three books, so I'm glad that it all ended well.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Hey Zoey!
      It all ended well, still I feel like these three books City of Fallen Angels, Lost Souls ecc.. are not part of the previous trilogy. Wow! You're reading CoFA! When you've done please link me you review! I would love to read your thoughts!

      x

      Elimina
  3. Great review!! I will have to add this to my ever increasing TBR stack...

    RispondiElimina
  4. I love this series, and the Infernal Devices. As to your question, i am in a group at Goodreads, and we debate this alot. I THINK, it will NOT be will, but it could be Jem that is Brother Zach, as a way to save his life, and in doing so, gives up Tessa (i really think she fits with Will better) AND WIll is the LAST Herondale male (besides his dad, who i doubt will have more kids) so to me, He needs to marry and have at least one boy. SO in saying that, I think it could be Jem. (and I know the Carstairs name is in Dark Artifices but He has other relatives still) Not sure if Will ends up with Tessa, as I still do not believe she is like a typical warlock, I think she will be able to have children, and I also believe that one of the Lightwood brothers will marry Cecily (Wills sister) and this is why Alec is the spitting image of Will. There is my short version of thoughts.
    Also, I HATE Sebastian/Jonathan, he is pure EVIL plain and simple, especially after the Dark Transformation I read, killed Sebastian and laughed about it. Jerk.

    RispondiElimina
  5. I should catch up on this series. I've only read up to City of Glass. I haven't even touched TID yet either. Shame on me lol. :)

    -Kim

    RispondiElimina
  6. I have had this book on my Kindle since it came out. I started reading it and quit to read some of my absolute favorites and haven't went back to it yet....I may have to soon!
    Brittany S

    RispondiElimina

 
Images by Freepik